Thursday, May 03, 2007

Interview with Tim Hughes (composer of Here I Am to Worship)

The renowned worship artist explains how "Here I Am to Worship" changed his life, and how he hopes Holding Nothing Back will shake up worship apathy.


How has your life changed since "Here I Am to Worship" went huge?

Tim Hughes: It's been a crazy and wonderful journey. Life has definitely become a lot more full and busy. I think one of the key things it has done is to allow me to step out in what I'm passionate about, leading worship and writing songs for the church.

One of the main things I do now is to lead a school of worship called "Worship Central." The vision is to train and equip worship leaders and musicians to be a blessing to the local church. We run training days, retreats, a website, as well as other resources. It's been amazing, and "Here I Am to Worship" has definitely paved the way.


Is there a downside to writing a worldwide smash?

Hughes: Perhaps the only struggle at times has been getting caught up in trying to replicate the success of the song. You can put a pressure on yourself and feel disappointed when other songs don't match "Here I Am to Worship." However, I now feel happy with the fact that different songs are used in different ways.

I had an e-mail from someone who went through a major brain operation; it was very much touch and go. All through the ordeal he said a couple of lines from another of my songs were running through his mind giving him strength, hope and courage. For me that's amazingly encouraging. My role is to be a worshipper, writing songs out of the overflow of my heart. As long as I continually push myself to be the best songwriter I can be, then how the song is used is up to God.


On Holding Nothing Back, you went for a louder, more rocking approach. Why?

Hughes: It captured both lyrically and musically the place I'm in. Worship is about surrender, holding nothing back and giving our all in response to the One who gave his everything for us. These are the days to be daring, exuberant and passionate; these are not times for half-hearted, apathetic worship. In the way I lead worship and in the songs I've been writing, I've been trying to push myself—to be more honest, raw and authentic in my response to our great God.


Musically I was keen to push things out as well. Going into the project I had what I called the three E's—I wanted the record to be edgy, epic and emotive. So every arrangement, every vocal, every guitar part, we were trying to push it to the max. I hope that passion is captured in the album.


You've expressed frustration at worshippers who simply go through the motions. What's the cause for apathetic expressions of praise?


Hughes: I wonder if partly in the West we have so much that we don't need God as much. I mean we've got our nice houses, great careers, flashy cars, exotic vacations and designer clothes. These in themselves aren't necessarily wrong, but if we're not careful it can dull our passion for Christ. Often when I find myself becoming apathetic, I realize it's because I'm relying on myself, rather than throwing myself on the mercy of God. Nothing fuels worship more than realizing the wonder of our Almighty God and recognizing our total need for him. When we recognize God for who he is, we can't help but respond wholeheartedly.


What can worship leaders do to shake up apathy?


Hughes: I think we need to step out and lead with our hearts on our sleeves—to model true worship in the lives that we lead and in the songs that we sing. The great evangelist John Wesley was once asked to explain his secret. He simply said, "Every morning I wake up and set myself on fire for Jesus, and then I go out and people watch me burn." Imagine that—thousands of worship leaders burning with zeal for Christ. That would certainly shake things up!







Song: Here I Am To Worship


Listen MP3 - Click Here

Chords - Click Here


Lyrics below.


Verse 1

Light of the world

You steped down into darkness

Open my eyes let me see

Beauty that make this heart adore You

Hope of a life spent with You



Chorus

Here I am to worship

Here I am to bow down

Here I am to say that

You’re my God

You’re altogether lovely

Altogether worthy

Altogether wonderful to me



Verse 2

King of all days

O so highly exalted

Glorious in heaven above

Humbly You came to the earth

You created

All for love’s sake became poor



Bridge

I’ll never know how much it cost

Too see my sins upon that Cross





Read the Review of Here I Am To Worship


Source

[tags : ]

No comments: